Saturday, November 29, 2008

Beautiful "souvenirs"

-----
There is a person who means a lot to me: my maternal grandmother. I spent much time with her during my childhood. She lived in the South of France, with chickens, a rooster, pigeons, rabbits, cats and a dog. She settled in a beautiful house built of old stones in the middle of the Provencal countryside. It had neither running water nor electricity. At night, we lighted up at the candle. I bathed in a basin of hot water, heated on a wood heater. She red stories that warmed my heart. The day we used to go together to walk in the forest to pick mushrooms, cut wood or fetch water at source.

My best memories date from this miraculous era. I will never forget that she taught me respect for nature, and has reinforced my love of animals. I remember one phrase she repeated often to me when I was on the whims: "A good war, and you would be better." Of course, we should not take these words in the first degree, but what she was meaning is that we should never complain too much, and think of those who have suffered much more than us, because she knew what is war.
Whenever I feel sad or that I lost motivation, I think of her and I say: "There is worse."
Today my grandmother, left for 9 years. And I think about her very often. I wanted her to see me grow. I hope she would be proud of what I became.

"I love you from the depths of my soul, Titi, I miss you so much."

No comments: