Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween : Tradition or Commercial Feast ?

---
I had my first real Halloween party last Friday night. It was the first time I wear a costume to celebrate this day ... the day of the deaths.
I had a lot of pleasure to disguise myself, cut my hair, put some paintings on my face, and wear special clothes. I enjoyed a lot to do that.
I think I didn't celebrate the feast as people did hundred years ago. But to wear a costume and to have fun with disguised friends was a way to celebrate it by our own.

In France, Halloween has not the same signification than in USA. Even if my country is Christian and a lot of people celebrate the day of the dead relatives. We call it "La Toussaint". Actually, Halloween is only a commercial feast when Big companies can make more money selling costumes, candies and decorations. I don't really know how much they own, but a lot for sure. And this is one of the reason why I don't really like to celebrate Halloween.

I made an exception this year ... and maybe ... because I loved my costume ... I will do it again.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I am not a fond of the holiday either but it is really fun to dress up. What a trade off...still not enough to make me do it though. Glad you had fun!